Calzones are a delicious Italian dish that have been around for centuries. They’re essentially pizza-like dough filled with cheese, meats, and other ingredients, then baked in an oven until golden brown. Many people consider calzones to be a perfect meal as they can satisfy any craving and offer something different than the standard slice of pizza.
Calzones make a great appetizer or main course due to their versatility - you can fill them with whatever ingredients you like! Popular combinations include ham and ricotta cheese, pepperoni and mozzarella, spinach and feta cheese, sausage and peppers, pesto sauce with mushrooms – just about anything goes! You can even get creative by adding sauces or herbs to the mixture before baking. The possibilities are endless!
Whether you buy them premade at restaurants or make them yourself at home there's no doubt that calzones are an irresistible comfort food favorite amongst many households worldwide! So why not give this classic Italian dish a try today?
The Best Toppings for Your Homemade Calzones
When it comes to delicious Italian cuisine, nothing beats a homemade calzone. These oven-baked pizza pockets are filled with an array of savory ingredients, all wrapped up in a golden brown crust. But what makes a calzone truly special is the toppings you choose to adorn your creation. Here’s a look at some of the best topping options for your next homemade calzone feast!
- Cheese: Cheesy goodness is one of the foundations of any great pizza or calzone. Whether you opt for mozzarella, ricotta, feta, cheddar, or any other variety – cheese will give your dish that ooey gooey texture and unmistakable flavor boost everyone loves.
- Meats: Meat lovers rejoice! Calzones can be filled with practically any type of meat imaginable– from pepperoni and salami to bacon bits and shredded chicken – adding plenty of protein to this already hearty meal.
- Vegetables: Get creative by adding fresh veggies like bell peppers, mushrooms, onions, and olives into your mix for more crunch and nutrition as well as added color and flavor.
- Herbs & Spices: Don’t forget about herbs and spices when preparing your perfect calzone! Oregano leaves provide a wonderful aroma while red pepper flakes add just enough heat to kick things up a notch (or two!).
- Sauces: Last but not least let's talk sauces - marinara sauce adds classic Italian flavors while creamy Alfredo sauce provides extra richness; both make excellent accompaniments when serving up this delicious delicacy!
How to Make Delicious Homemade Calzones in Just 30 Minutes
Nothing beats a delicious homemade calzone for a quick and easy meal. With just 30 minutes of prep time, you can have hot, cheesy calzones ready to go in no time! Here’s how to make your own mouthwatering calzones at home:
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Start by making the dough. In a large mixing bowl, combine 2 cups all-purpose flour, 1 tablespoon sugar, 1 teaspoon baking powder, ¼ teaspoon salt and 3 tablespoons olive oil together until it forms a crumbly mixture. Slowly add ½ cup warm water while stirring with a wooden spoon until the dough comes together and forms a soft ball that is not sticky or too dry. Knead the dough on a lightly floured surface for 5-10 minutes until it is smooth and elastic. Divide the dough into four equal pieces and roll each piece out on the floured surface into an 8 inch circle shape about ¼ inch thick. Place these circles onto two parchment paper lined baking sheets and set aside for now.
- To create your filling for each calzone, begin by cooking one package of Italian sausage over medium heat in a skillet until browned; drain off any excess fat from the pan before adding 1/4 cup diced onion and sautéing them both together until the onions are softened (about 3 minutes). Remove from heat then stir in 4 ounces cream cheese, 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning blend and some freshly ground black pepper; mix everything together well before setting aside for now.
- Take one of your prepared dough circles and spread 2 tablespoons tomato sauce over half of it; top this with half of your prepared filling then fold the other side of the circle up over top to create a half moon shape pinching along edges to seal shut completely (use some extra water if needed). Cut three small slits into top crust then brush entire outside surface with some melted butter before transferring onto prepared baking sheet; repeat these steps using remaining ingredients creating four total calzones per sheet as shown above photo example here (or double recipe as needed).
- Bake both sheets side-by-side on center rack for 20 minutes or until golden brown on top; remove finished calzones from oven onto cooling racks allowing them to cool slightly before serving warm with additional pizza sauce & Parmesan cheese if desired - Enjoy!